VCE English Exam Begins For Thousands Of Students
The VCE English exam gets underway tomorrow for 43,294 students.
Minister for Education James Merlino has today wished students every success in their VCE exams and encouraged them to seize the opportunity to do their best.
Mr Merlino urged any students experiencing anxiety about their examinations to seek support from their teachers, families and friends.
The Department, in partnership with headspace, has created resources for school staff to use to support students during the VCE examination period, available at http://headspace.org.au/get-info/school-stress-and-exam-survival/
Youth organisation Reach also has tips on managing exams and study stress including:
- Prepare a study plan and activity breaks
- Establish a routine around meals, exercise and sleeping
- Stay focused by saying no to parties near exam time and limit distractions while studying
- Ask for help from teachers, family, or friends
- If stress is getting too much, seek professional help
Throughout the exam period VCE students will be tested in the areas of the arts, humanities, mathematics, science, business, technology, languages and vocational education and training.
During this period students should continue with their study routines and maintain a healthy and balanced lifestyle. For more information on the VCE exams, visit: www.vcaa.vic.edu.au
Key facts relating to this year’s VCE exams are available below.
Quotes attributable to Minister for Education James Merlino
“During VCE exam time students should make sure to stay connected with those who support them and to talk to friends, family and teachers about any concerns they may have.”
“Students should always remember that exams aren’t trying to trick you, to do well you simply need to demonstrate what you know.”
“I encourage students to do their very best, but never lose sight of things. Life is a marathon, not a sprint. There is life after Year 12 and there are many roads to future careers and further study.”
- Number of students sitting at least one exam: 83,770
- Female students sitting at least one exam: 44,491
- Male students sitting at least one exam: 39,279
- Subjects with a written exam: 105
- Examination centres in Victorian Schools: 506
- Largest examination centre: Bendigo Senior Secondary College (1077 students)
- Smallest examination centre: Lake Bolac College (four students sitting exams)
- Number of mature-age students sitting at least one exam: 636
Number of VCE languages being examined: 45